Friday, August 19, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie and Layered Salad Recipes That Are Delicious for Diabetics

One thing those who receive a diagnosis of diabetes need to remember is that they can still enjoy tasty meals. The days of a tasteless diabetic diet or bitter desserts are long past. The recipes in this article will show you just how tasty your meals can still be. For me personally, the diagnosis was not devastating as I had experience with diabetic recipes before my diagnosis. I had grown up next door to my grandparents and watched as my grandfather's food was measured and cooked in some rather mundane ways. Years later, I took care of my diabetic mother after she suffered a major stoke. I did a lot of nutritional research and was surprised at how far diabetic diets had changed. But more importantly was the changes in artificial sweeteners. Gone was the bitter after taste from my grandpa's sweeteners to the ones of my mother. Now I am able to prepare meals that I can enjoy and that my grandchildren enjoy with me. Try these recipes and see for yourself just how tasty your meals can be!


SWEET POTATO PIE
3 medium to large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups Splenda granulated
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup low-fat evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Cook the sweet potatoes covered in water to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer about 45 minutes until tender.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain the potatoes and when enough, peel, remove blemishes, and mash. Add the butter, Splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, beat mixture until smooth. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.

Bake pie at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. If crust begins to get too brown, cover edge with a foil rim.

Note: Cinnamon is a blood sugar regulator so I have more cinnamon in this recipe than you may be used to.

SUNDAY LAYERED SALAD
1 head lettuce, chopped
1 pkg (10-oz) frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 can (8-oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained
2 cups mayonnaise
2 tbsp Splenda granulated
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 bacon strips, fried crisp & crumbled

In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish layer ingredients in the order listed above. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment