Whether you are pre-diabetic or have been diagnosed with full-blown Type 2 diabetes, returning your body to a healthy weight and keeping it there, is crucial to help you live a long, healthy, happy life. No one wants to go through life feeling cruddy and not fitting into their clothes. Thankfully, there's a lot you can do each and every day to keep yourself living in a healthy body.
Here are some tips to get you started:
* set goals that are realistic. You don't want to set such unobtainable goals you become frustrated. That just sets you up for failure.
* keep a record of everything you eat and drink. This will allow you to see patterns and know what you are doing wrong.
* cut out sugary drinks. You will be surprised at how much weight you can lose just by getting rid of sugary soft drinks, sweetened juices and sweet tea. These are just empty calories that you don't need.
* use smaller plates. When you eat off a smaller plate, you can fill it up and feel like you are going to eat a lot more food than you would be eating from a larger plate.
* dip your fork. Instead of putting dressing all over your salad, put it on the side and dip your fork in it before each bite. You will still get the taste, but with a lot fewer calories or kilojoules.
* slow down when you are eating. Savor the taste of your food. Don't watch TV or do anything else that will distract from enjoying each bite of your meal.
* never shop for groceries when you are hungry or tired.
* start each meal with a salad... how about a green salad with kidney beans and raw vegetables. You will feel full faster, but get more nutrients and fewer calories.
* don't eat in your car.
* choose lean proteins such as skinless chicken breast, and beans.
* eat vegetables at every meal.
* put your fork down between each bite of food. This will slow down your eating and allow you to really taste what you are eating. It also takes at least 20 minutes for your brain to get the message your stomach is comfortable and that you can stop eating.
* don't eat standing up, your brain and stomach are much more likely to register you are eating if you are relaxed and enjoying your meal.
* snack on raw fruits and veggies.
* use fruit for dessert... with a few chops of a knife, you can turn a few pieces of fruit into a beautiful fruit salad. Drizzle a little lemon or orange juice over the top to cover the fruit with it.
* drink at least 8 to 10 glass of water each day. Why not drink a glass of water before eating each meal.
Just following these simple rules will help you to lose weight and keep it off. Remember, it is a lifestyle change and not a diet. You should strive to live this way for life. Keeping a healthy body is critical to making sure that you live a longer life.
The only way to lose weight without medication or surgery is to take-in less energy (calories or kilojoules) than your body needs. There are no magic ingredients or food combinations to change this basic metabolic fact.